"Find things you feel so comfortable in that you don’t even think about putting them on in the morning." It didn’t take long for us to realize that Vanessa Mooney’s laissez-faire philosophy extends beyond her vintage-inspired bohemian wardrobe. From her carefree bracelet stacks to the most humorous Halloween costume, Vanessa’s innate comfort in being herself manifests in everything the designer does - and that’s exactly why we love her. Read on to discover the many other reasons (we’ve lost count!) we’re obsessed with this bohemian bauble maker.
1. Your jewelry exhibits bohemian flair, authentic attitude, yet wearability for the modern woman – all at once. How do you pull this off?
I think being so inspired by the past - history, people, fashion, revolutions, art, and music - plays a big part when a piece is being designed. But at the same time, I want my girl to feel ahead of the past and be able to wear every piece without feeling dated or costume-y!
2. How does the jewelry you create reflect your Hollywood roots paired with your insatiable appetite for travel?
Growing up around my family’s history of old Hollywood made quite an impression on my fashion taste. I was obsessed with vintage clothing as a teenager and even now. The fabrics and styles from the 20s through the 40s were beyond inspiring to me. The clothes, the jewelry, the hats - everything was so put together. I thought it was so special!
My mother’s generation was very bohemian and I think that got passed down to me, and taught me to always be searching and learning. Traveling is how I do that!
3. What is the travel destination you haven’t been to but would love to go?
I always want to travel to beaches or natural paradises, but recently I have been craving a good long trip to Paris. I have been before, but would love to actually live there for a while!
4. We’re obsessed with layering, and you do it really well! What’s your secret to a killer bracelet stack?
Layering is the best! Mix pieces that are not similar to each other. If you have beaded bracelets, add a thick metal cuff or mix silver with gold. It makes it feel like you didn’t try too hard. Like you woke up with them that way!
5. Here at Rocksbox, we gift our members in sets of three. What three things are you obsessed with right now?
Motorcycles, planting succulents, and finding the perfect leather fringe jacket.
6. Describe your style in three words (can you tell we love threes?).
Vintage, modern, bohemian.
7. For women just beginning the jewelry discovery process, what’s your piece of advice for getting in tune with one’s personal jewelry style?
Find things you feel so comfortable in that you don’t even think about putting them on in the morning - you just always want it. And then, pick pieces you can layer with those staples. Do that with every part of your body! Hands, wrists, and neck. Soon you will have a pretty rocking collection of jewels!
8. What’s your average (or not-so-average) morning routine and how does accessorizing come into play?
Oh man! I am not much of a morning person. But, I have my jewelry laid down outside of my jewelry box so I can always see my favorite pieces. It makes it so much easier for me to grab what I love. I think accessorizing is the fun part of getting dressed, so I always try to do it!
9. What will you be for Halloween this year?
I would love to be a Parisian queen with a white wig and powdered skin in a corset dress and all the little details.
10. If you could dress one person in Vanessa Mooney who would it be?
Wow, that’s a hard one! I would love to dress Brigitte Bardot, Lillian Gish or Kate Moss! There are so many beautiful women I would love to dress!
Get to know all of your favorite Rocksbox designers! Look out for monthly designer spotlights only here on the Rocksbox blog.